Føtm - Havoc DH [Accepted]

Create and send your application to join the guild.
flavour64
Scout

Føtm - Havoc DH [Accepted]

Postby flavour64 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Character info

Name: Føtm

Class: Demon Hunter

Mainspec: Havoc

Why did you chose this class & spec and how do you benefit the guild?

I chose to play Havoc DH as it is a relatively easy class to master and provides great overall single target / 3 target cleave / aoe damage output with the right talent combinations. Having such a simple rotation as well means I'm less prone to dps loss due to human error and can put more of my focus on executing mechanics and paying attention to the raid environment. DH also provides the raid utility of darkness and when combined with spirit link, can greatly lower the variance in relying on RNG to reduce damage, making it an even more powerful raid-wide cooldown. Havoc provides great burst potential in single target damage and can benefit the team by timing dps cooldowns to push through specific dps check phases in some encounters.

Would you be able to play different spec of your class? Do you have raiding experience on other specs?

Yes, I can play vengeance to an acceptable level where I'm able to stand in as a tank for farm and progress. Only really have experience tanking heroic NH farm as I haven't yet encountered tank roster issues in main raids this expansion so far. Logs from one of the runs will also be provided below.

Player info & hardware
Nationality: American / Chinese
Can you use TS3? Yes
Whats your fps in raids during boss fights? normally within the range of 90-100fps

Player history and aims
What are your previous guilds and why are you applying now?

Started off the expansion with a few friends in Whiplash - Kilrogg/Nagrand/Runetotem, guild disbanded mid-way through Emerald Nightmare. Which then led me to Cincinnati Zoo (GM name changed it a month ago to N A N B A N G E R S when he was drunk one night) until now. I'm applying and leaving my current guild now due to the desire to raid more often. My current guild has a great atmosphere socially, but the 2 raids / week schedule and occasional cancellation of progress days without rescheduling is not enough raiding for me.

How often can you attend raids (state days & times in gametime)?

Can attend all official raid days on Tuesdays / Thursdays / Sundays 6:45 - 11PM.

Raid Experience (Classic, TBC, WotLK, Cataclysm, MoP, WoD):

Only played casually (close to non-existent end game content) up to WoD. Ended WoD clearing 13/13M HFC pre 7.0. Current raiding experience: 7/7M EN, 2/3M ToV, 7/10M NH.

What do you expect from Colour?

A friendly atmosphere, but at the same time finding people open to discussing how to improve performance on various classes and encounters. Willing to give and take constructive criticism and feedback on strategy after raids. Lastly, a bunch of good lads to farm M+ and do other stuff with.

Raiding

How do you take responsibility and deal with it? Can you give an example?

Signing up for raids ahead of time and will notify GM / officers a few days in advance if I have IRL matters to attend to on raid days. Also willing to take on the roles of calling out specific timers / casts if I were assigned. Managing to use darkness at the right time / netherwalk to soak one-off damage mechanics. e.g soaking tichondrius seeker swarm, taking 1 spore on botanist with defensive etc.

How do you prepare yourself for raids?

Consumables wise, I always make sure I have a healthy supply of pots / food / health pots / tomes and 20+ flasks in stock; augment runes as well if pushing tougher content with tight dps checks. Tactics / strategy wise, I always make sure to read up on the bosses we plan to kill / progress on before a raid if I'm not familiar with the tactics, also checking log rankings to see what the optimal talent combinations for various encounters are. Gear wise, I sim my character after each upgrade to make sure my stat weights. (and hence gems / enchants are optimised)

Class mechanics

How well do you know the mechanics of your class you play? How do you improve yourself?

I believe I can play all the builds of Havoc DH to a high level and know the mechanics of the class inside out. one extremely small improvement I'd make is getting used to using momentum during heavy sustained aoe encounters without any target priority when running the demonic build (e.g. cheesing tichodrius bloods / scorpyron adds). I keep myself updated with the latest DH updates on the class discord and sim myself with different talent combinations to find the build that will give me the most dps depending on the encounter (patchwerk / multi target).

What would your standard rotation of abilities/spells (healing/dps/tanking) be for a typical tank and spank fight, and why would you use those abilities/spells?

With the standard ST talent build (2210211)(I run chaos cleave over first blood unlike most other DH you may encounter, as it provides me with a 30k dps increase for my gear sets), the ability prio goes: Fury of the Illidari > eye beam (no cleave within 30-35 seconds) > Chaos strike (>40 fury) > Fel blade > Chaos strike (>70 fury) > fel rush / throw glaive. Using these abilities in descending order of damage per execution time. (also with damage per resource in consideration) Only exception would be the Fel blade > Chaos Strike (>70 fury) as using that prio will reduce the variance of fury starvation with bad demon blades RNG and using fel blade at low / moderate fury levels have a very low risk of overcapping and wasting resource. Same prio is executed when using metamorphosis and chaos blades.

How do you adjust this rotation in other situations than tank & spank? What situations are these?
In general, I'd start using eye beam on cooldown if there are two or more targets, also willing to save Fury of the Illidari if there are add spawns 20-30seconds into the pull. Though I'd most likely be adjusting my talent builds for aoe / sustained cleave situations, where throw glaive becomes very high on the priority list if running bloodlet with the legendary bracers; and eye beam becomes a psuedo dps cooldown if running demonic.

Miscellaneous
Armory Link: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/chara ... /f%C3%B8tm
Link to relevant logs (World of Logs, Warcraftlogs or AskMrRobot): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... metric=dps
Link your UI in a raid situation: https://puu.sh/vVfka/1242fb4137.jpg
Anything else you wish to say?

Also able to play mage / warrior / dk up to a reasonable level and willing to use them if a particular strategy / class stacking becomes favourable.
alt logs:
mage: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/id/21053008 (original main, rerolled to dh at the beginning of NH as fire was way behind and frost was lackluster with low ilevels before double ice lance was discovered)
warrior: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/id/14494964
dk: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/id/23305208

If there's anything extra you'd like to know, please let me know. Hope to hear from you soon! btag: mike#24185

Pushba
First Sergeant

Re: Føtm - Havoc DH

Postby Pushba » Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 pm

Hello Fotm! (or Mike?)

I'm glad you decided to apply as we've been on the chase for a DH to apply since there's been an opening in our roster. I'm personally no officer but atm i'm the only Havoc DH in the guild. First off, I really liked your apply, you seem level-headed and open for new ideas and know the ins and outs of what talent/legendary is good in what situation, that's a big plus because it shows you're versatile.

One small question i've got is related to trinkets, i see that you run Dinner Bell atm. As you and everyone else that hang out on the class discord know it's going to get destroyed in 7.2.5. I know that for some DHs (not necessarily you) that trinket has been a crutch that helped them perform (parsing basically). Do you think you'll have any problems adjusting to a life without a 6 mil opener? Or did you have no problems pre-Dinner Bell? Not saying it as criticism but just as a general precaution.

Also, Fel Hammer or Mardum? (really important one)

Good luck with your application!

Leefter
Centurion

Re: Føtm - Havoc DH

Postby Leefter » Sat May 20, 2017 3:10 am

Hello Føtm, and thank you for your application.
We will get back to you asap with our decision.

-Officer Team
Image Even though you don´t hear me, I´m still there ;)

flavour64
Scout

Re: Føtm - Havoc DH [Pending]

Postby flavour64 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:48 am

Hey,

Thanks for the quick response, you can call me flavour / mike whichever you find easier to remember.

I personally think it won't be a problem with the coming changes to dinner bell, as simulations a month ago (from when I first got dinnerbell) show that I'm only around 60k-80k ahead in dps with dinnerbell / nightbane chest / EoC combo from using standard gear + foci / horn + EoC. It's just that a greater proportion of our dps comes from our burst windows, with using dinner bell. Bear in mind that using this setup also means giving up on a great deal of agility from the trinket slot and chest slots (which contributes most stat/ilevel in terms of equipment), so the increase in sustained dps in 7.2.5 when I swap back to "normal" gear will definitely offset the lower openers. (even if they didn't nerf dinnerbell, I doubt I'd be using it anymore as they're completely removing chaos blades' dynamic mastery scaling in the latest PTR build) As a side note, I think I've had one or two pulls in farm where I've used an old set with AotHG / Delusions with CoF combo, didn't really find any difference at all other than the opener being lower than usual.

Personally I'm on both discords, but I've found Fel Hammer to be more resourceful than Mardum when I check the pinned messages and are in general more up to date with DH changes.

Pushba
First Sergeant

Postby Pushba » Sat May 20, 2017 4:10 am

Alright, Mike it is!

Good to hear, i've never used it myself so i've got nothing to go on (in comparisons). Yea the changes to CB is a buff to me personally since i don't have that high mastery (using Foci/Jacins tho). Also i've got another question, do you live in the EU or US? And if US, do you have latency issues?

Other than that i don't think there's much to add from my PoV. I've gone through your logs and seen nothing out of order. You seem like a guy that keep up to date with boss tactics so i don't think being behind in bosses will be a problem. But we do have some special responsibilities in NH compared to other melee, but nothing extreme.

Yea same, i'm usually quite active on Fel Hammer (vk8/Push). Mardum is kinda dead these days, it was "better" early on in Legion.

flavour64
Scout

Postby flavour64 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:36 am

Most of the year I'll be living in London, and perhaps maybe for a period of 1 month-ish every year, I'd be going back to Hong Kong. Last time I checked, I had around 300 ping and the connection was less stable than the one I have in the UK; though disconnections are still pretty rare. It only takes me perhaps 1-2 days at most to adjust to the increased latency and it has a very marginal effect on my performance. (was playing with 300-ish ping as fire mage at the start of the expac, didn't suffer much from the ping for the high APM openers)

Tactics wise, I don't mind doing extra jobs, I mean... with CC simming higher with FB for me atm, I am more than happy to do more than just spamming chaos strike.

As for the discord, I'm more of a lurker, I usually just find myself looking through the important posts to see if there are any new changes in the meta in the form of sims of talents / trinkets / relic comparisons etc.
Last edited by flavour64 on Sat May 20, 2017 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pushba
First Sergeant

Postby Pushba » Sat May 20, 2017 4:55 am

Okay, good to know. One month isn't that much. What do you mean, CC is extremely fun ;)

I see, yea it's a very good source of information, makes it easy to stay in touch with what is considered the best atm.

I'll leave you in the hands of our officers. And maybe i'll see you in game soon. Best of luck!

Nox
Senior Sergeant

Postby Nox » Sat May 20, 2017 7:44 pm

Hey there!

I just have one question for you.

I'm a bit worried about your commitment to one class/one main since your name is literally "Flavour of the Month". You have several other characters and have already swapped main once. So my question is, how likely is it that you would swap main in an instant/ask if you could reroll because of a small tweak either on DHs or one of your other characters? Rerolling between tiers is doable, but still really inconvenient. Rerolling mid-tier is pretty much impossible. Of course if DHs gets completely shit on, which is highly unlikely, and you're unable to do even close to competitive DPS, rerolling would be the only option, but a part from that rerolling shouldn't really be a rash decision.

- Nox & the officer team

flavour64
Scout

Postby flavour64 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:26 pm

Hey,

It would be highly unlikely for me to reroll mains due to small changes to my current class or due to a sudden emergence of a meta where a combination of trinkets is suddenly very powerful for another class mid tier.

A bit of a back story, my decision to reroll from mage to DH mid-tier during nighthold was actually a decision I've wanted to make around 2 weeks before the NH patch date, have been discussing about the reroll with the RL before NH and I've only been staying on mage during the first few weeks as we had a very melee heavy comp and RL would like me to stay as ranged until the comp gets more favourable for me to reroll. The decision was made in advance and was well thought out, as the changes to fire made it an outlier in underperformance without specific legendaries in single target scenarios and there is a bit of uncertainty with how frost / arcane was going to be early on. With the changes, I simply just didn't enjoy playing fire as much as I did at the beginning of the patch with the drastic changes to combustion, especially the fact that it made me feel I was dragging the raid team down, doing subpar dps while I can perform at a higher level (with proof of logs at the time) on a different character.

I'd be lying if I say I wasn't interested in having a "flavour of the month" alt, e.g. fury warrior with DoS / frost mage (after discovering double IL) / frost dk early on. But I'm playing them more so because I'm curious as to what makes them so powerful rather than playing them and wanting to reroll into that particular class simply because they're far ahead on the logs.

The reason behind the name "Fotm" is more so a inside joke in my current guild where the GM at the start of NH(who also mains a DH) would take the piss out of our retribution paladins for lower openers for not playing fotm, hence my renaming of the dh to fotm when I transferred.

So in short, I will not be asking for a reroll unless if there are drastic changes coming to a class, like that of fire mage before nighthold. If by the off chance it does happen, it will be a carefully thought out decision and not a rash decision.

Nox
Senior Sergeant

Re: Føtm - Havoc DH [Accepted]

Postby Nox » Sat May 20, 2017 8:39 pm

retribution paladins - lower openers
i feel.. insulted :(

Jokes aside. I'm glad to announce that we have decided to offer you a trial spot in Colour!

Your application and answers have been spot on and you seem like the exact kind of player we are looking to have in our roster. As soon as you've transferred to Stormreaver feel free to whisper either me, Jerkix, Thealm, Sillykon, Leefter or Lemonhunter for a guild invite.

Welcome aboard and see you soon!

- Nox & the officer team

Eleet
Sergeant

Postby Eleet » Sat May 20, 2017 8:40 pm

Welcome Mike :D

flavour64
Scout

Re: Føtm - Havoc DH [Accepted]

Postby flavour64 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:51 pm

Thanks!

I'm planning on transferring this coming Tuesday, looking forward to join you guys then!

Return to “Recruitment”